March 17, 2018 Starla and I went exploring and ended up at the Big East Fork of the Pigeon Creek via Trail number 357 in The Shining Rock Wilderness

Time to catch up on some blog posts and this one reminds me to make the best of whatever is thrown at us. The reason I mention this is that the catalyst to doing a hike along the Big East Fork of the Pigeon was brewed up during my bout with the flu several weeks ago. I spent a few days at home feeling half dead and to pass time I studied maps and guide books, dreaming about getting out and exploring some special places I had not visited up to that point. I've had the Shining Rock & Middle Prong Wilderness - PISGAH NATIONAL FOREST USDA map for years but never had an occasion to use it any more than to day dream potential adventures. The creek is featured on that map as well as in Whitewater of the Southern Appalachians, Volume 2: The Mountains. 
 To start our adventure we jumped on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville.


 Views from the Parkway. I had planned to hit the trails just off the parkway and we did explore one short parkway trail but the parkway was closed past the intersection with 276 so logically we jumped on 276 going towards Canton.

 We stopped at the first trailhead off of 276 and started hiking the Big East Fork from there. It is an incredible hike and I cant wait to connect it to the Graveyard Fields area next time. It looks like an amazing place to do some backpacking.