I wanted a big training ride and I got a big training ride: 42 miles of Heartbreak and Kitsuma

I started at Curtis Creek and attempted to climb to the parkway from there. I was denied at the washed out bridge 5 miles from where I parked due to bridge replacement utilizing some heavy equipment. On my way back down Curtis Creek I decided to stop at my favorite CC campsite: It will be warm enough to jump in there soon:

Onto the parkway:

Clear spring skiesThe first nice overlook on Heartbreak where I met Ben from CT (student at Warren Wilson in Asheville and about to graduate - congrats & good luck). He was riding up Heartbreak to the Parkway when I was coming down from the parkway. The next views are just past the short steep climb with a left turn in the middle, challenging little climb when you are at this point in the ride.

Plenty of sweet single track today.

By the time I got back to the car, the moon was up and dusk had set in. I was thankful I didnt have any flats or any other technicals. I exceeded a safe speed and ended up paying for it (see photo below) > I got off easy!
After getting up to the parkway, I did Heartbreak Ridge down to Star Gap where I took a right down to Mill Creek / Graphite, climbed up Mill Creek Rd to Kitsuma and dropped down it, past the Geyser and climed back up to Stargap dropped down the other side/bottom of Heartbreak at the gap, then onto Jareds Creek and back to my Curtis Creek parking spot at the place the horse trailers like to park. The weather was incredible and trail conditions could not have been better. Kitsuma was in especially nice shape. It had been too long since I had ridden it, I'll be back soon though.
It was a real mountain bike ride if there was some blood:
Ride stats:
Total distance: 42.4 miles
Total time: 6:51 Moving time: 5:36 Stopped time: 1:15
Number of stops: 15
Total elevation gain: 12,481'
Average speed: 7.6 mph
min elevation: 1,483' max elevation: 4,757'



I thought my legs would feel like Rick James' after Eddie and Charlie Murphy taught him the lesson about dirty feet on the couch, but gladly, I'm feeling pretty good post ride.
Amos' Epics