Curtis Creek / Newberry Creek climbs

Glen Alpine Epic Adventures
Good training ride this evening. I got to Curtis Creek and almost turned around due to the light rain and a few puddles of water on the road. Luckily I met Beth who pointed out that it should cool the temperature down and that the rain might just pass over. She was right on both accounts. Thanks to her for the "good call", it motivated me to ride. I parked at the campsite right before the bridge that crosses Newberry Creek. The climb up Curtis Creek road to the Parkway was long as usual but it was good to have some company to talk to and pass the climb. We actually saw a baby bear on the climb up. I saw the mama bear jump in the woods and then the baby popped out and looked a little confused - I had left the camera at the car due to the rain so I didnt get a picture - next time...
After we made it to the Parkway, Beth had an appointment to make and so decided to bomb back down Curtis Creek Rd. I decided to keep climbing up the parkway for a few miles. There was one view that I saw and it deserved a picture but since I didnt have the camera I'll just try to describe it with the help of a picture I took at the same overlook when Steven and I were riding up there in early May. This is the view point.
The mountain tops were clear and majestic as always but the valleys were full of a lake of low laying clouds. It was beautiful. Sorry I can only describe it.
After a few miles on the Parkway, I finally got to Noyb trail that runs along Brier Ridge and decided to take that back down. I still cant believe that my tires didnt go flat - there is a good reason it is called Brier Ridge. I had only one extra tube and had depleted my patch kit of patches yesterday when I salvaged about 4 old tubes, one of which was in my back tire (it would have been a good idea to pack a couple of those salvaged tubes but I didnt). I did pick my bike up and carry it through a few areas that were full of briers - a little due diligence. By the time I dropped back down close to my parking place, I decided I should climb some more. I had enough light in the sky, air in my tires and some energy left so I started up Newberry Creek Rd. I climbed all the way up the forest service road, past the gate, up, up, up and to the point that it turns into single track. Sweet climb and much improved from early spring when the gravel and dirt they added was still loose - it is nice and packed down now. It got more and more grassy as I made it closer to the top but still a good climb. Then I just bombed back down. A good evening ride.